Church and State have always been intertwined in Russia: under Tsarism God was inextricably linked to the Tsar. However recently all this has begun to change. Last year many Orthodox supporters took part in the pro democracy protests in Moscow: religious opposition to Putin is growing, there can be no doubt of that, but what this means for a government that is so intimately intertwined with the Russian Orthodox church is unclear.
- As EU foreign ministers meet in Berlin, they have no easy option to respond to the double crisis at its Eastern doors. ECFR’s Gustav Gressel explains why.
- The latest investigation of Riccardo Cristiano on the pivotal role of Pope John Paul II during the cold war. A multifaceted analysis on the man standing between two superpowers during years of uncertainty and incomprehension.
- As the fall season starts to kick in in Russia, the streets of Moscow and other major cities are still heated up by activists and demonstrators that over the past couple of months have been contesting the power of President Vladimir Putin.
- The economic and politic synergy between Italy and Russia is based on the strong complementarity.
- ResetDoc met the Russian philosopher. Although Dugin denies that he is Putin’s ambassador or his direct advisor, he confirms that the geopolitical strategies of the Russian president reflect his theories perfectly
- As the elections near, there is no question that Vladimir Putin is certain to begin his fourth mandate as president of the Russian Federation.
- The number of arguments and explanations dealing with post-Soviet Russia is continuously increasing. Scholars, journalists and policy-makers are all obsessed with its trajectory and, even more specifically, the role of Vladimir Putin.
- While Moscow was getting ready for a fairly low-key hundredth anniversary celebration of the Bolshevik uprising, another revolution resonated in the anti-Putin activist circles.
- This is the text of a lecture which will be delivered by prof. Sergei A. Mevdev (Higher School of Economics, Moscow) at the Conference Dimensions and Challenges of Russian Liberalism on Friday, Oct. 27.