What are liberal democracy’s greatest weaknesses in the face of spreading populist movements? What can reform-minded liberals do to loosen the tightening knot of anger and nationalist extremism? In order to achieve a truly inclusive and open public sphere where no dominant perspective is imposed from above – and where values and proposals are freely discussed and challenged Reset Dialogues on Civilizations has launched a new series of seminars and public lectures focused on the Illiberal Trend affecting contemporary democracies.
- An international forum and summer school, in partnership with the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, on the prospects for democracy, human rights, secularism and religion across different cultures able to promote and consolidate a network of cultural, intellectual and academic relationships among senior and junior scholars in the social sciences, political theory, sociology, legal and religious studies.
- The international association Reset Dialogues on Civilizations has launched the Reset Seminars of Pluralism, a yearly international program on cultural and religious pluralism and political liberties. The purpose is to promote a local intellectual response to the rise of rigorist strands of Islamic thought by training 40 emerging opinion-leaders on the relationship between religion, history and power and to contribute to the reawakening of pluralistic traditions in Muslim contexts.
- The key aim of this project is to strengthen dialogue and common research between Europe and North Africa for promoting and researching on democratic culture, cooperation aimed at forming and strengthening the human and intellectual resources of freedom, critical thinking, tolerance and pluralism from inside both the European and the Arab tradition.
- The current political situation in Post-Soviet countries, primarily the Russian Federation, raises questions about the cultural roots of today’s prevailing nationalist political ideologies and behaviours. The international scientific community has to overcome the lack of knowledge about Russia’s Post-Soviet history, also in order to avoid the sheer repetition of old clichés – liberal -western opinions versus a despotic-eastern world
- Philosophers Bridge the Bosphorus-Close encounters across all divides was the motto of this conference, that reached its 9th edition in May 2016. The previewed 10th edition in Istanbul has been suspended and our Reset DOC Dialogues will take place in Venice on 8th/10th June 2017, in collaboration with Ca’ Foscari University, Cini Foundation and Bilgi University on the topic “The Populist Upsurge and the Decline of Diversity Capital”.
- This project’s general framework was cultural and religious pluralism, seen through the perspective analysis of social and political processes and exchanges between East and West. The Venice-Delhi Seminars were organized in cooperation with the India Habitat Centre, the Indian Magazine Seminar, the renowned Jamia Millia Islamia University in Delhi and, when held in Italy, with the partnership of the Giorgio Cini Foundation, University of Padua and Ca’ Foscari University of Venice.