- The presidential topic only represents a piece of a very complex puzzle: Algeria, the oil giant of the African continent like Nigeria, has not yet managed to diversify its economic framework.
- Sara Borrillo in her recent book has produced a well-mapped view of the history and types of modern feminisms in the North African country.
- In 2016, Loubna Bensalah walked a thousand kilometers across her country, Morocco, to better understand herself and her fellow citizen women. In 2018, she transformed these marches from personal encounters into collective ones, naming the project: “Kayna [I exist and act, in the Maghreb Arabic dialect, ed]—To conquer public space through women’s marches
- A year ahead of legislative and presidential elections, Tunisian politics appears to be in a period of intense upheaval. Prime Minister Youssef Chahed’s position has been wavering for months. Meanwhile, the economic malaise of the population deepens by the day.
- In contrast to European strategies of one century ago, Chinese influence in Africa does not take place via military campaigns or colonization. By contrast, pointing to economic and, above all, infrastructural projects Chinese leaders describe their model as a win-win cooperation.
- The war in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), which never makes world headlines, is by far the worst crisis in numbers of people killed and uprooted, before Syria, Yemen and other severely war-torn areas in the XXI century. It is one of three countries in the world declared a level three emergency by the United Nations.
- We know Amitav Ghosh as a novelist. One of the greatest contemporary Indian writers, he is also a journalist and a scholar; his background as a social anthropologist is clearly visible in the rigour of the documentation behind all his novels. Ghosh also wrote extraordinary reportages and many prose pieces.
- An interview with Zeyneb Farhat, cultural entrepreneur and women’s rights activist
- Tunisian president Beji Caid Essebsi has vowed to increase gender equality in the country