We know Amitav Ghosh as a novelist. One of the greatest contemporary Indian writers, he is also a journalist and a scholar; his background as a social anthropologist is clearly visible in the rigour of the documentation behind all his novels. Ghosh also wrote extraordinary reportages and many prose pieces.
- We can start from violence and its presence in the Holy Texts. Some people say that insisting on the violence of the Bible is typical of antisemitism as much as doing the same about the violence in the Qu’ran is typical of Islamophobia. But this is not the case: there are many things there as human sacrifice or lapidation that our mind cannot today accept.
- On the 27th of September, we lost Alfred Stepan, “one of the greatest scholars of comparative politics”, in the words of Seyla Benhabib; an outstanding political philosopher who has left a strong impression on the comparative studies of religions in democracies.
- “We are not winning in Afghanistan right now. We will correct this as soon as possible,” said U.S. Defence Secretary James Mattis during a recent Senate hearing.
- Armed conflicts, civilians debased by both terrorist groups and dictatorial governments, a worrying repression of dissent and waves of populism and racism experiencing a staggering rise
- In the mid-1970s democracy seemed to have fallen to an all-time low. In Latin America, two of the most successful democratic stories, Uruguay and Chile, were violently overthrown by military coups in 1973,
- In all countries, established political parties have the dangerous propensity to counter this electoral wave of populism by adopting the issues and language used by them.
- The latest of a raft of measures adopted by US President Donald Trump only a few days after he was sworn into office, the executive order on immigration has sparked heavy criticism in the country and around the world.
- On Friday 20th January, Donald Trump will be officially sworn in as the 45th president of the USA: after taking the Oath of Office and offering his first inaugural address, Trump will begin his mandate.
- The days immediately before Election Day were hectic. I was working on the campaign for Hillary Clinton in Broward, a blue county just north of Miami-Dade.