- For all its benefits, why is liberalism failing, and making so many people unhappy, asks Patrick Deneen? Liberalism failed because it has succeeded. Its liberation of the individual coincides with a sense of political and economic powerlessness for ordinary citizens.
- Globalization has generated a real and a felt threat of poverty, insecurity and inequality. But there are both winners and losers.
- The West lost its legitimacy to say that only it can manage the world economy and the disruptive impact of the new technologies has been eating away citizenship reflexes and democratic engagement.
- People in America once again engage strongly in politics. They have enough of anti-government, anti-immigration and polarization extremism that blocks democratic governance.
- We are going through a certain era where human dignity is neglected but pride is mobilized and organized by right-wing populists. If we do not have a global conversation and global solidarity against this loop of political “ice age”, we are going to end up in a more infantilized world.
- Identity politics emphasizes difference: that is not a good way of keeping and promoting social and political cohesion. I agree with Mark Lilla, says Maurizio Ferrera commenting on his book ” The Once and Future Liberal. The question is how to revive equal and free citizenship and update the new challenges and new configurations of risks, needs and opportunities in the 21st century.
- A problem not only amongst American liberals but increasingly amongst the Left throughout the West: identity versus citizenship. Differences amongst people became more important than what they have in common. The Identity Politics created a vacuum which the radical right took over, says Mark Lilla in his book “The Once and Future Liberal”.
- Today people’s political identities make them say whatever the tribe is supposed to believe in at the moment. If there is hate for the other tribe, the other party, we cannot be one self-governing people, says Anthony Appiah: a Democracy needs to be run together and needs agreement on common ground.
- Why did political Islam fail? And why did political Islam in Turkey, which started as a rising star turno into a political monster? Interview with Cengiz Aktar.