The 2022 Summer School “Between State and Civil Society: Who Protects Individual Liberties and Human Dignity” is organized by Reset DOC in collaboration with the Department of Asian and North African Studies at the University of Ca’ Foscari.
Through its lectures, workshops, and the Seminars, the Summer School will aim to address the challenges faced by civil society in the current post-pandemic context with rising costs and inequality. What are different actors’ responsibilities towards their citizens, and do they have obligations to guarantee and maintain their protections.
Structure: The Summer School is structured in lectures and workshops. All enrolled students are going to be assigned to one of three workshops. In the workshops, students discuss and elaborate on one specific issue of the overall topic and prepare a short presentation on the last day of the Summer School.
Evaluation: Presentation during the Reset DOC Seminars and attendance (40%); final paper to be submitted three weeks after the end of the summer school (60%).
University Credits: Students will work for a total of 150 hours (6 ECTS).
Application requirements: The Summer School is open to students or young scholars in the field of humanities, social and political science, or law from any background. A good working knowledge of English is required.
To apply, please e-mail the following to email@example.com:
- A short cover letter explaining your interest in the summer school (max 300 words).
- Your curriculum vitae.
- A personal ID (Passport or National Identity Document).
- References are welcome but not indispensable.
The deadline for applications is 6 April 2022.
NB: In order to receive the certificate of attendance of the Summer School, attendance to all lectures, workshops and conference speeches is mandatory.
Grants for the Summer School:
Budget is limited. Small grants are addressed to students/scholars depending on their cv, cover letter, and travel distance from Venice.
In order to receive the grant, attendance to all lessons and workshops of the Summer School, and attendance for the whole duration of the Seminar is mandatory.
CLEARLY STATE IN YOUR APPLICATION WHETHER OR NOT YOU WILL BE APPLYING FOR A GRANT.
The GRANT will be delivered in cash on Saturday the 28th of May.
For Ca’ Foscari students only:
– For students enrolled in the LAMAC, LEISAAM, LICAAM, LICSAAM or ITES degree programs, the Summer School will be recognized as credits or excess credits (CFU) for substitute internship activity (Studenti LAMAC, LEISAAM, LICAAM, LICSAAM e ITES: riconoscimento crediti come attività sostitutiva di tirocinio o sostitutiva di tirocinio dei CFU in sovrannumero).
– For students enrolled in the MIM degree programm the Summer School will be recognized only as excess credits (CFU) for substitute internship activity (Studenti MIM: riconoscimento crediti come attività sostitutiva di tirocinio in sovrannumero).
There is no cost to attend the Venice Summer School. All lunch meals are included during the week of the Summer School.
Toshio Miyake (Ca’ Foscari University of Venice) and Volker Kaul (Charles University, Prague/Reset DOC)
Summer School Scientific Committee :
Karen Barkey (Bard College), Stefano Beggiora (Ca’ Foscari University of Venice), Daniele Brombal (Ca’ Foscari), José Casanova (Georgetown University), Beatrice Gallelli (Ca’ Foscari), Stephen Macedo (Princeton University), Maria Cristina Paciello (Ca’ Foscari), Marcella Simoni (Ca’ Foscari), Francesca Tarocco (Ca’ Foscari).
For any further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.