Of the countless images and videos that have come out of Iran in recent weeks, it is clear that what is emerging is more than a simple demand for women’s liberation or equal rights in an authoritarian regime. Discontent has been brewing for decades but will the Islamic Republic of Iran be able to stem the rising call for change or will they have to give in (even just a little) to protesters’ demands?
- A new wave of popular protests against mounting prices piles pressure on conservative president Ebrahim Raissì. But he only can walk a fine diplomatic line.
- Pro- and anti-Saied demonstrators are staging a growing “squares battle” after the centralization of powers in the hands of the President.
- The wife of jailed dissident Alexei Navalny is emerging as an increasingly popular figure in Russia’s opposition. Will she take up the role and openly defy the regime?
- Ten years after the sudden destitution of President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali, all the chickens are coming home to roost in a Tunisia drained by what appears to be a never-ending economic crisis. Political reports mirror a situation that is now festering and in which conflict pervades the present.
- While the repression has crushed any form of political dissent, recent labor movement initiatives suggest the ideas of self-emancipation and participation have not vanished.
- As EU foreign ministers meet in Berlin, they have no easy option to respond to the double crisis at its Eastern doors. ECFR’s Gustav Gressel explains why.
- From France to the UK, from Belgium to Tunisia, the anti-racist protest stemming from George Floyd’s murder has become a truly global phenomenon. Just as the history of violence of slavery and colonialism at its roots. Houssem Ben Lazreg and Amira Hassnaoui retrace the link.
- How the murder of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter mobilization reshaped American public opinion
- Michael Walzer, Karen Barkey, Spencer P. Boyer, Sheri Berman, Jonathan Laurence, Rahsaan Maxwell. Six powerful voices, six prominent American political thinkers on the impact of George Floyd’s murder and the challenges ahead for US democracy.