Despite its size and demographic weight, India has never managed to become the geopolitical giant it hoped to be in recent decades. It’s fast-paced economic and demographic growth however will soon permit it to surpass it’s historical colonizer making it the subject of courtship in a newly repolarized world.
- Citizens who are member of societal, ethnic or religious minorities are per se more vulnerable than the rest of a country’s population. That should be the case in India, too. Yet rather than being protected by the State, many of them are facing increasing hurdles, if not outright harassment through public measures. Prof. Nandini Sundar explains how.
- The landslide victory of Narendra Modi’s ruling party paves the way for his re-election in 2024. Anti-Muslim policies are set to be reinvigorated.
- Christophe Jaffrelot’s latest oeuvre provides a comprehensive account of how, and why, India started descending into today’s political nightmare. A review.
- Coal “phasing-down” was seen as bitter disappointment in the West, but as a remarkable result in India. Its élite is now pondering how to make best use of its “re-discovered” diplomatic potential.
- India’s government is cracking down on dissent by means of an anti-terrorism law, the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act. Here’s how it works.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his ruling BJP are increasingly on the defensive over the spiralling out of the pandemic in the country
- Regardless of the outcome of elections in West Bengal, the BJP’s emerging dominance has brought a paradigm shift across the country’s politics, writes Shaikh Mujibur Rehman.
- India’s nationalist government has started to identify Rohingya refugees in Jammu & Kashmir, seeking their repatriation to Myanmar, where they escaped genocide and would likely face further persecutions under the military junta. The UN and human rights advocacies are pushing to hold New Delhi accountable to international refugee protection obligations.
- Despite the deadly pandemic, Hindu devotees renew the traditional yearly descent to the Ganges. A collective search for renewal and spiritual energy.