The US Supreme Court has issued another shocking but unsurprising ruling that arbitrarily dispenses with precedents and upends long-settled law at the expense of the historically disempowered: now African American and Latino students will be deprived of “affirmative action” programmes considering race in university admissions. However, the assumption there was a shared originary understanding of the Constitution is false since the Constitution has been aggressively colour-conscious throughout its history, mainly at the expense of minority groups
- Chess pursues the elimination of pieces; Go the encirclement of territory. Against US containment policy, China is expanding where there is space to expand.
- China is building its influence in a region that has traditionally been dominated by the US.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo laid out a list of demands on Iran in a speech threatening to “crush” the country on Monday. His bellicose words come weeks after President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of the Iran nuclear deal and are nothing short of an ultimatum demanding Iran’s total surrender to U.S. wishes.
- “A drought is much more effective than sanctions” says Dr. Kaveh Madani, former deputy head of Iran’s environmental department and researcher at London Imperial College.
- Is the Iran nuclear deal dead? Perhaps not, after all, in spite of president Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw the United States from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), as it is formally known. The US withdrawal, however, is a dangerous blow to the most important diplomatic achievement in the Middle East in many years.
- The United States’ unilateral withdrawal from the Iranian nuclear deal (also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, JCPOA) has a range of important implications, further consolidating the international system’s pivot to the East.
- Recent spontaneous demonstrations in Iran have startled most observers around the world. A social unrest which started because of worsening economic circumstances and the failure of the government to keep its economic promises and contain inflation and price rises and issues of that nature has now turned into a general political dissent around the country.
- Armed conflicts, civilians debased by both terrorist groups and dictatorial governments, a worrying repression of dissent and waves of populism and racism experiencing a staggering rise
- The days immediately before Election Day were hectic. I was working on the campaign for Hillary Clinton in Broward, a blue county just north of Miami-Dade.