Two months after the elections in Tunisia, Prime Minister Habib Jemli has to deal with a fragmented parliament. As no party achieved the necessary 109 seats to ensure the absolute majority, the risk of “ungovernability” remains high. An uphill start for the youngest Arab democracy.
- In advance of the crucial second round of Presidential elections, the former president of Tunisia’s Higher Political Reform Commission Yadh Ben Achour delivered a fervent appeal to save democracy, in Tunisia and elsewhere from its own malaise: by adjusting its structural weaknesses and distortions and, most importantly, by eradicating the scourge of poverty and popular frustration. Here’s the full trasncript of his keynote speech pronounced last September 20th at the ResetDOC / CAREP international conference in Tunis.
- Political fragmentation, socio-economic despair and the return of foreign fighters: who will prevail in Tunisia’s unique “double election”?
- Four months before the vote, everything is still in doubt in the complex Tunisian chess game, overshadowed by the Libyan and Algerian news on the agenda of the Western allies.
- A year ahead of legislative and presidential elections, Tunisian politics appears to be in a period of intense upheaval. Prime Minister Youssef Chahed’s position has been wavering for months. Meanwhile, the economic malaise of the population deepens by the day.
- The Arab spring uprising opened the way to public debates inconceivable in North African countries before 2011. Yet, the reaction of the Cairo authorities has been very hostile to “free thinkers”, including citizens who eschew religion.
- Is Daesh really over? Unfortunately not, and the organization can take advantage of the chaotic situations in both Iraq and Syria.
- In a coalition government, Ennahda is demonstrating what acceptable religious conservatism might look like
- An interview with Zeyneb Farhat, cultural entrepreneur and women’s rights activist
- Tunisian president Beji Caid Essebsi has vowed to increase gender equality in the country