The enormity of Beirut’s port blast and of the extortion of the Lebanese population of their deposits and life savings account for the default of the rule of law in this former enclave of liberty and democracy in the Middle East. Insidiously, Lebanon is becoming a police state, where freedom of expression and basic human rights such as access to education and health are being denied.
- Osman Kavala, the most important representative of Turkish civil society, has now been sentenced to life in prison, for having financed and supported the Gezi Park movement and having allegedly played a role in organising the attempted coup d’état of July 15th, 2016. Other 7 accused, all human rights activists including Can Atalay, Mücella Yapıcı, Çiğdem Mater, Hakan Altınay, MineÖzerden, Tayfun Kahraman and Yiğit Ali Ekmekçi, will have to face 18 years in prison.
- Orbán and Morawieczi will now have to explain to their domestic audiences how to cope with the possible EU funds slashing. Not an easy task.
- The public opinion is losing sight on the democratic backsliding in Central and Eastern Europe. Equally distracted, the EU risks a shipwreck on fundamental values.
- The acquittal and immediate new arrest of the philantropist shows the determination of Erdogan to uproot any remain of rule of a law in Turkey
- Reset-Doc is pleased to publish and support the letters concerning recent events in Turkey that hundreds of academics, intellectuals and politicians, from around the world, have sent both to the US Government Officials, Barack Obama, John Kerry and Ashton Carter, and to the Highest Officers of the European Union, Federica Mogherini and Thorbjørn Jagland. While they disapprove the attempt to subvert the democratic process in Turkey through the military coup, these letters have been written to strongly condemn actions taken by the Turkish government in violation of human rights and rule of law. The undersigned, therefore, are calling to action the US government and the European Union to strongly criticize these violations, to closely monitor the situation and refuse to accept anything but the reversal of these authoritarian policies.