The turning of migrants into political weapons is the latest proof of the irrelevance of the UN refugee protection system in the 21st century. It is high time to reform it.
- Palestinian and Syrian refugees, but also other migrant workers, are suffering the dire consequences of Lebanon’s social and economic free fall. Poverty, racism and harassment are the daily menu. Here’s what a few NGOs are doing to try and help them.
- British Parliament missed yet another opportunity to introduce a 28-day detention limit for illegal immigrants. The impact on their lives is dire.
- At the crossroads between East and West, Turkey has always pursued border security as a key axis of its foreign policy. In recent years Erdogan even used frontiers as an adventurous geopolitical tool: not always as successfully as it may seem.
- The coronavirus crisis has turned the world upside down, including in terms of mobility priviliges, expectations and prejudices. Are we witnessing the advent of a new form of Immoblity Justice?
- The sudden announcement of a lockdown triggered the biggest exodus India has ever witnessed since the Partition. 120 million migrant workers have remained with no protection, in the grip of hunger.
- Targeting people as outsiders is part of the new tribal nationalist agenda to protect majorities against minorities.
- Data, politics, NGOs, racism, Matteo Salvini. What’s going on in Italy with migrants and refugees.
- The popular initiative ‚Against the Construction of Minarets’ stands in opposition to basic human rights and endangers the religious peace. What I found most outrageous in the campaign was the image on the poster where, next to minaret towers, a burqa-clad person was shown. That was the point: hyping up fears by using exactly what the initiative set out to prohibit. The initiative was not against minarets - it directed itself against an entire religion. This is not worthy of a governing party. It was an embarrassing situation which once more went to prove how many of our fellow citizens are prone to being manipulated by a few agitators and to help them get the vote.