Democracy is not doing well in the MENA region and political parties are the main casualties, surviving through life-support mechanisms but failing to make inroads in their respective national political contexts.
- Saving a country from its collapse. An interview with Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Raï after his visit to the Vatican
- As most Syrians stil grapple with a full-scale humanitarian crisis afer ten years of destruction, regional powers are competing to secure influence on the country’s reconstruction, and future balance.
- A decade after the start of the popular revolts that swept the whole Arab region, a book by Harvard scholar Noah Feldman returns on the question of its widespread failure, challenging our views on why that happened. Our review.
- Twenty-four years after the slaughter of French monks in Tibhirine, Algeria, a thousand shadows, questions, but also indications.
- The assassination of Major General Qasem Solemaini brought Iran and the US on the brink of war, but also Hamas and Egypt to a bitter clash. Here’s why.
- Cold weather, inadequate healthcare and Daesh cells are all threatening the refugee camps where thousands of Kurds have been displaced after Turkey’s military offensive last October
- With the US completely out of the scene, the military operation against the Kurds consolidates the two clear protagonists of the new Great Game: Turkey and Russia. The Kurdish question remains, once again, unanswered.
- The Syrian war seems to slowly be reaching its end and Assad’s regime may no longer require a strong military presence of foreign fighters on its soil. But what about the welfare system those foreign fighters have helped establish? Would it also disappear with the retreat of Shiites militias? If so, then the government will remain interested in having Hezbollah on its territory to support its very delicate attempts to mend the deep fractures that the war created inside the Syrian society.
- The political rift between Christians is an element of powerful destabilisation for the entire region.