A report by Mohammed Hashas on the conference “Arab Renaissance: Renewing the Civilizational Message” organized in Amman, Jordan, on 25-26 April 2018, in the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the Arab Renaissance Foundation for Democracy and Development (ARDD).
- Known for his work on identity politics and political economy, Dr. Rehman most recently published ‘Communalism in postcolonial India′, which addresses the rise of religious fundamentalism in India. In Bonn to lecture on cow vigilantism, he spoke to Roma Rajpal Weiss about the situation of the sub-continent’s Muslim minority.
- Indonesia has witnessed the mushrooming of communal violence during the early stages of its transition towards electoral democracy after the fall of Suharto’s authoritarian regime in 1998.
- The future of Indonesian Islam, and with it that of the entire nation, involves the issue of addressing social justice. The 82-year-old Muslim leader Ahmad Syafii Maarif, is convinced of this.
- Are Indonesian democracy and pluralism being endangered by the revitalization of radicalism and the increasingly invasive presence of extremist Islamic groups?
- In persistently developing a model for coexistence able to peacefully contain social unrest and radical Islamism, Indonesia has been able to emerge headstrong from years of difficult dictatorship and positively react to the late-nineties financial crisis. Although Indonesia has painted a bright and prosperous image of itself, it carries behind it a thick and oppressive shadow.
- Germany is not immune to the phenomenon of religious radicalism. Over the past six years, about one thousand foreign fighters have left Merkel’s country for Syria and Iraq to join ISIS and other terrorist groups.
- Khalid Chaouki has been announced as President of the Grande Moschea of Rome, the largest mosque in Italy and outside of the Arab world.
- On May 23, 2017, hundreds of Isis-inspired terrorists swiftly gained control of Marawi City in Mindanao, the Philippines’ southernmost archipelago. The terrorist offensive came in response to the attempted arrest of Isnilon Hapilon, leader of the Islamic terrorist group Abu Sayyaf, on behalf of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
- With Trumpism, a kind of virulent racism and sectarianism in public discourse in the name of a response to political correctness raised in the form of Islamophobia