Michael Walzer, Karen Barkey, Spencer P. Boyer, Sheri Berman, Jonathan Laurence, Rahsaan Maxwell. Six powerful voices, six prominent American political thinkers on the impact of George Floyd’s murder and the challenges ahead for US democracy.
- World-renowned pollster and political stategist Stanley Greenberg speaks to ResetDoc about the impact of nation-wide anti-racist protests on US politics and upcoming presidential elections.
- In China, leaders fear elections, even at local level. But democracy is not just about elections and China is experimenting with non-electoral mechanisms of political participation, such as deliberation and sortition. Can such mechanisms help to secure social cohesion in China?
- Bratislava’s People’s Party has exploited widespread disilussion and frustration with corrupt politics to enjoy an electoral boom. Besides loud-speaking, there are core policy reasons behind such success.
- Far from any grand debate about the “Deal of the Century”, the preferences of a few key minority groups will most likely tilt the balance of Israel’s third consecutive general election. Here’s why.
- Among mass protests and low voter turnout rates, Abdelmadjid Tebboune emerges as the new Algerian president. The staggering influence of the generals in politics still makes a democratic transition the least likely scenario for Algeria. The future of this country still remains difficult to predict.
- In advance of the crucial second round of Presidential elections, the former president of Tunisia’s Higher Political Reform Commission Yadh Ben Achour delivered a fervent appeal to save democracy, in Tunisia and elsewhere from its own malaise: by adjusting its structural weaknesses and distortions and, most importantly, by eradicating the scourge of poverty and popular frustration. Here’s the full trasncript of his keynote speech pronounced last September 20th at the ResetDOC / CAREP international conference in Tunis.
- Political fragmentation, socio-economic despair and the return of foreign fighters: who will prevail in Tunisia’s unique “double election”?
- Sinem Adar and Yektan Türkyılmaz investigate on the results of the latest Turkish Municipal elections. What explanation lies behind Erdogan’s electoral fiasco?
- The latest analysis of Lorenzo Monfregola focuses on the three German left parties: Die Linke (The Left), the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SDP) and Die Grünen (The Greens). What are the parties strategies to gain political consensus on the wake of the next European elections?