The ‘unexpected competitor’ in Hungary’s upcoming elections, Péter Márki-Zay, is strengthening its profile, both internally and at European level. Outgoing PM Viktor Orbán will be counting on the deep state he has built over the last 12 years to cling to power, or come back soon.
- Anti-Fidesz party join their forces to find the best-suited competitor to Hungary’s Prime Minister. Can they resurrect an agonizing democracy?
- Two months ahead of Europe’s most-awaited elections, climate change and crisis management brutally enter the political game. Who will benefit from that?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his ruling BJP are increasingly on the defensive over the spiralling out of the pandemic in the country
- Regardless of the outcome of elections in West Bengal, the BJP’s emerging dominance has brought a paradigm shift across the country’s politics, writes Shaikh Mujibur Rehman.
- Israel’s Prime Minister is looking at involving Arab party Ra’am in a new coalition to try and solve the new political stalemate. That shall not impede the advancement of a sharp nationalist agenda.
- Since 78-year-old outgoing President Alassane Ouattara has announced his decision to run again for office, despite the Constitution’s two term limit, nation-wide non-violent demonstrations have erupted across Côte d’Ivoire. The world is paying little if any attention.
- Michael Walzer, Karen Barkey, Spencer P. Boyer, Sheri Berman, Jonathan Laurence, Rahsaan Maxwell. Six powerful voices, six prominent American political thinkers on the impact of George Floyd’s murder and the challenges ahead for US democracy.
- World-renowned pollster and political stategist Stanley Greenberg speaks to ResetDoc about the impact of nation-wide anti-racist protests on US politics and upcoming presidential elections.
- In China, leaders fear elections, even at local level. But democracy is not just about elections and China is experimenting with non-electoral mechanisms of political participation, such as deliberation and sortition. Can such mechanisms help to secure social cohesion in China?