The surprising alliance between Bibi Netanyahu and Benny Gantz looks to deal a definitive blow to Palestinians’ statehood aspirations. With the Arab countries complicity.
- The death of former leader Hosni Mubarak brings up questions on the actual degree of stability of his “ideal” successor al-Sisi. What institutional and social elements distinguish the two regimes?
- A new arbitrary arrest and detention by Egypt’s authorities displays the ineffectiveness, if not the lack, of any coherent European diplomatic action. Politcal and economic consequences may be dire.
- The assassination of Major General Qasem Solemaini brought Iran and the US on the brink of war, but also Hamas and Egypt to a bitter clash. Here’s why.
- On September 20, thousands of Egyptians took to the street in Cairo and other cities of the country in a rare show of anti-government protests. Whilst it is certainly true that corruption, illegal practices, and private enrichment thanks to high-level connections with state officials are particularly hateful aspects in a country in which one-third of the population lives under the threshold of absolute poverty, the actual reasons of protests lie somewhere else.
- Journalists, trade unionists, intellectuals, students, professionals active in the corporations of their category: the list of those arrested and those who could be shortly gets longer. So much that in its recent report on the opposition in Egypt, Amnesty International does not hesitate to define the North African country as “an open-air prison”.
- The Arab spring uprising opened the way to public debates inconceivable in North African countries before 2011. Yet, the reaction of the Cairo authorities has been very hostile to “free thinkers”, including citizens who eschew religion.
- There is no doubt that seven years after the Egyptian revolution, elections are over and the plebiscite is back.
- Egypt is expected to hold new presidential elections in less than eight weeks. Despite this, the list of presidential hopefuls remained unclear until early afternoon of January 29 – that is, the real last hours of the last day to submit the required paperwork to the National Elections Authority to be allowed to run in the electoral competition.