- At the origins of the anger of the Indian farmers is a complex combination of deep agrarian crisis coupled with a lack of opportunity outside of farming sectors. The feelings of injustice are compounded by a sense of exclusion from Narendra Modi’s India Shining campaign since 2014. Now, in the run-up to national elections in 2019, peasants’ demands generally enjoy public sympathy and widespread support — instilling some fears of a possible upset within the ruling party.
- In contrast to European strategies of one century ago, Chinese influence in Africa does not take place via military campaigns or colonization. By contrast, pointing to economic and, above all, infrastructural projects Chinese leaders describe their model as a win-win cooperation.
- A report by Mohammed Hashas on the conference “Arab Renaissance: Renewing the Civilizational Message” organized in Amman, Jordan, on 25-26 April 2018, in the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the Arab Renaissance Foundation for Democracy and Development (ARDD).
- To understand the rise of populism we need to engage and care about questions as dignity of work, uncriticized financialization of market driven economy, growing inequality, missing solidarity and the fear of immigration.
- In persistently developing a model for coexistence able to peacefully contain social unrest and radical Islamism, Indonesia has been able to emerge headstrong from years of difficult dictatorship and positively react to the late-nineties financial crisis. Although Indonesia has painted a bright and prosperous image of itself, it carries behind it a thick and oppressive shadow.
- In a coalition government, Ennahda is demonstrating what acceptable religious conservatism might look like
- In The Value of Nothing. How To Reshape Market Society and Redefine Democracy (Picador 2010) Raj Patel, an international intellectual working to change the world’s unequal economic asset, links food, the climate and the financial crisis to vast political failure; that of democracy the way it is practiced today.