Having missed the 2008-2009 opportunity to follow Monnet’s teachings, Europe now should act dramatically at the April 23 leaders’ gathering. It is very rare that a train passes twice but, from the current bickering among EU capitals, the intention seems to be to miss that train again.
- Democracies may be devastated by emergency governance, but crises are also moments of collective learning, says the LSE’s professor of politics and author of a “prophetic” book on the “Politics of Last Resort”.
- How and why Viktor Orbán exploited the European coronavirus crisis to harden ever more his rule over Hungary
- Two presidents of the Libyan Central Bank (each one printing its own bills), practically two national oil companies with two distinct policies for the management of oil resources, two governments, and two parliaments. Despite the UN’s efforts, the contending Libyan parties have no yeat reached an accord, isn’t the road of dialogue and diplomacy leading to a stalemate?
- Managing migration flows, strengthening democracy, fostering a long-term Euro-African pact for growth and investments. Outgoing European Commission’s director general for International Cooperation Stefano Manservisi leaves his vision for the future of Europe’s geopolitics.
- On the edge of the most prosperous part of Europe, the Republic of Moldova is nonetheless one of the poorest countries of the Old Continent. Crushed between Romania and Ukraine, the country is experiencing a severe and ongoing political, economic and social crisis.
- The latest analysis of Lorenzo Monfregola focuses on the three German left parties: Die Linke (The Left), the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SDP) and Die Grünen (The Greens). What are the parties strategies to gain political consensus on the wake of the next European elections?
- The streets of Paris in flames; the most ancient democracy of all overturned by Brexit; populist-held Italy tempted by the aspiration to dismantle the EU from within. What’s going on with European democracy, two months ahead of its key electoral appointment?